The World Health Organization (WHO) Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus on Monday said that although the situation of the COVID-19 outbreak in Europe is improving, globally it is worsening. "Almost 7 million cases of COVID-19 have now been reported to WHO, and almost 400,000 deaths," Tedros said.
According to Tedros, more than 100,000 cases have been reported to the WHO in nine of the past 10 days, and on June 7, more than 136,000 cases were reported, "the most in a single day so far."
He said that almost 75% of the cases come from 10 countries, mostly in the Americas and South Asia. "We also see increasing numbers of cases in parts of Eastern Europe and Central Asia," he told reporters.
Tedros said that most countries in Africa are still experiencing an increase in the number of COVID-19 cases, with some reporting them in new geographic areas, although most countries in the region have less than 1,000 cases.
"In these countries, the biggest threat now is complacency," he said, adding that most people globally are still susceptible to infection. "We continue to urge active surveillance to ensure the virus does not rebound, especially as mass gatherings of all kinds are starting to resume in some countries."
Tedros said that WHO fully supports equality and the global movement against racism. He advised that if people do attend a protest, they should keep at least one meter from each other, clean their hands, cover coughs and wear masks.