1. a drop in the ocean 沧海一粟、九牛一毛，形容微不足道
如：His fee is a drop in the ocean compared with the real cost of broadcasting.
2. actions speak louder than words 事实胜于雄辩，行胜于言
如：Stop apologizing and prove to me that I can trust you — actions speak louder than words.
3. add fuel to the fire 火上浇油
如：You should stop their quarrel. Don't add fuel to the fire.
4. the ball is in your court 指“轮到你了”，“该你采取行动了”
如：I have done my best to explain my position, now the ball is in your court.
5. bend over backwards 不遗余力
如：Our company is bending over backwards to satisfy our customers.
“I’ve been bending over backwards trying to solve his problems.”
6. bite off more than you can chew 不自量力，接受了超过能力范畴的任务
如：I think I’ve bitten off more than I can chew with this project.
7. by the skin of one’s teeth 指以勉勉强强地完成了某事
I think I might have passed that exam by the skin of my teeth.
8. cry wolf “狼来了”，指在不需要帮助的情况下还大呼小叫求帮忙
如：My new roommate is always crying wolf.
9. cut somebody some slack 指让某人缓一缓，别那么苛责的评判
如：You need to cut the intern some slack. They are still learning.
10. cut to the chase 直入正题，有话直说
如：Okay, let's just cut to the chase.
11. get one’s head around something 下功夫了解某事
如：I’m going to spend tonight trying to get my head around this new legislation.
12. hear on the grapevine 听说小道消息
如：He'd doubtless heard rumours on the grapevine.
13. it takes two to tango 一个巴掌拍不响，双方都有责任
如：It takes two to tango, but I still think it was more his fault.
14. miss the boat 错过机会、坐失良机
如：Jump to it, don't miss the boat.
15. a piece of cake 小菜一碟、易如反掌
如：For him, the work is a piece of cake.
16. pull yourself together 振作起来
如：Pull yourself together! Do you want to show the white feather in front of these people?
17. sit/be on the fence 保持中立
如：He considered that it was better for him to sit on the fence during the quarrel.
18. set up one’s game 提高自己的表现
如：If you want to get this promotion you’ll need to set up your game.
19. sell someone out 出卖某人
如： I asked you to keep that information to yourself. I can’t believe you sold me out.
20. your guess is as good as mine 我也一无所知、拿不准
如：—"Do you believe they intend war eventually?"
—" Your guess is as good as mine."